Official PayPal Seal

Thursday, August 2, 2012

a byento - soon

(journal entry from july 29)
today we left Haiti. I can't remember the last time I have cried so much. I left my heart in Port-au-Prince at Zanfan Lakay.
We packed up and left the hotel around 8 this morning. I went out to the street really quick to buy more souvenirs. There are about 4 street vendors outside our hotel gates and they are all the sweetest people. Unlike other countries I have visited, they were very considerate and always said, "God bless you," even if I didn't buy anything of theirs. I left feeling encouraged and uplifted. However, Frantz was getting mad at me because I wasn't haggling. I told him I was too nice to haggle, but I tried just for him.

We all loaded up on Doukans' Tap Tap & listened to tonight a few more times. (The song is actually called Give Me Everything by Pitbull. It is Doukan's favorite song, therefore we listened to it on repeat most of the week.) I felt bad because it's Sunday, so everyone was dressed up nice to go to church and here we are blasting Tonight. But it was awesome.

Last night we moved all the Zanfan boys to their new home down the street. It was so amazing to me how the boys helped do everything without being asked. Also, the image of kids walking down the street holding chickens, geese, and ducks is priceless.

transporting the ducks and chickens

carrying the bird cage to the new house

We did a church service for the boys at Old Zanfan Lakay. We sang all the classics: Today is The Day, Chante, Our God is Greater... When worship was kind of trailing off, Doug said, "do they know How He Loves?" and immediately, all the older boys began singing the chorus acapella. It was one of the most beautiful things I have ever heard. Cry #1.
Cry #2: after Eric's message - How God loves us even though we sin - Pastor Pierre asked if anyone wanted to accept Jesus into their hearts. 17 kids stood up, and even one of the ladies that works at Zanfan. When they were repeating Eric's prayer out loud, I couldn't help but sob. 

standing up to ask Jesus into their hearts

When Jean Paul saw me crying, he was so concerned. "Promise me you won't cry. It makes me cry when I see you cry."
"I promise"
"Ana, you promised you wouldn't cry! What did you say to me?"
The little boy sitting to my right saw that I was crying. He gently took the sleeve of my shirt and wiped the tears from my eyes. He had also seen that I had begun to peel off all my nail polish, so during the church service he held my hands and picked the rest off for me.

Jean Paul, making me promise not to cry.

Last night and this morning we celebrated Kathia and Jimmy's one year anniversary. Everyone was dressed up in their Sunday best (Bob Marley beanie included). Eric and Pastor Pierre renewed their vows and Kathia surprised Jimmy with a wedding band. It was the sweetest thing ever. We popped some bubbly and Carrie brought cakes for all the kids. Afterwards, all the boys were walking around with white icing beards on their faces. Goobers.

Kathia and Jimmy renewing their vows

Cry #3. They made us shoes. 
Since most, if not all, of the children at Zanfan Lakay are undocumented, none of them will be adopted. They will remain in Haiti the rest of their lives. Because of this, Zanfan teaches the older boys trades so they will be able to provide for themselves when they have to leave Lakay. They tan their own hide and make shoes and bags. 
They gave us all shoes.
Kathia also gave me a beautiful set of jewelry in the Haitian flag colors that she made herself.

Cry #4 - saying goodbye to Kathia.
Cry #5 - saying goodbye to Jimmy.
"I will never forget you."
I told Jimmy and Kathia that I want to come live in Haiti. Kathia said she would be so happy and Jimmy said he will be waiting for me with a room and an air mattress.

All the kids ask me if I am coming back in December. I hope it will be sooner than that.

Cry #6 - big time.
I was holding a baby while hugging Ali and Fatima goodbye. I lost it. When they saw I was crying they were all so concerned. The baby just looked at my with worry in his eyes. Ali said, "Ana don't cry, you promised!" Fatima just hugged me tighter. Jackencia saw me, ran up to me and just starting wiping the tears from my face saying, "ana... ana..." 

"until next time."

Big Cry #6

No comments:

Post a Comment