Official PayPal Seal

Friday, August 3, 2012

Jimmy

Jimmy

At first glance, he is by far the scariest looking person I have ever seen in real life. I have been scouring all the Haiti pictures trying to find one that shows how intimidating this man seems in reality. I never could find one though... probably because Jimmy is the furthest thing from it. 
The best way I can put Jimmy into words is describing him as Aslan from the Chronicles of Narnia. Jimmy is an ex-gang member. He lived in various places around Port-au-Prince such as the cemetery and the streets in general, crime practically being his occupation. Until one day, Jimmy had a wake up call. There were all these children living on the streets around him. Why was he living a life of crime when these kids needed help? Who was going to help these kids if he didn't?
So Jimmy gave up his bachelor and crime filled lifestyle and began caring for the abandoned, undocumented, homeless children of Port-au-Prince. Specifically, Jimmy took in about 75 boys who were all squatting in a 10x10 sewer substation. The boys had sleeping shifts since there wasn't enough room for all of them to even stand in the building. He taught them how to survive without stealing, and he began teaching them lessons in the tiny building. This building and group of boys soon became known as Zakat Lakay. 

Zakat - the sewer substation where 75 boys lived before Jimmy found them.

Eventually, Carrie Gibson and her husband heard of Jimmy and what he was doing for the street kids of Haiti. This is when their organization Grangou came to be. 
Grangou helped Jimmy provide for these boys, eventually moving them into the house now known as Zanfan Lakay.
Every time I hear or tell Jimmy's story, I am so dumbfounded. What kind of man would completely turn his life around on a dime, take in and care for 75+ children? The only explanation is that Jimmy is crazy. 
His selflessness is astounding. I love to just watch Jimmy interact with people. His exterior screams danger, while his heart proves otherwise. He is the most patient, loving, understanding and compassionate person I have ever known. While at Zanfan Lakay, you can tell how the children respect him. His past shines through every now and then, when he has to discipline one of the boys. But he does it out of love, and it shows. I have already described how in love I am with the children of Zanfan, and it has almost everything to do with Jimmy. "He is not safe. But he is good."
Just like Aslan, he is feared by all because he is powerful. Jimmy could probably kill someone if he wanted to. But he is good. He uses his power and his influence among the community for good. He is a living example of the gospel. His life is a beautiful picture of Christ's love for us, and his grace and mercy for us.
One day when we were playing at Zanfan Lakay, I turned to see Jimmy sitting on the steps. Instead of seeing his threatening appearance, I saw the way he calmly sat there, as a 7 year old girl leaned against him, playing with his hair. I don't know why this impacted me so much, but it that image just makes me want to cry. The way he loves is so beautiful. I feel so safe when he is around. He is only 39ish years old, but the Lord has already used him in huge ways. I am so thrilled to know Jimmy, and I hope to be a part of the plan God has in store for him. Thank God for Jimmy. Because of him, the children and people living on the streets of Haiti have been blessed and seen the Lord's light. Praise God.

jimmy admiring his new wedding ring




No comments:

Post a Comment